Sunday, February 25, 2018

A short break: GRS is on winter vacation

Hey there, GRS fans. Just a quick note to let you know that I’m taking a short break from the blog.

In part, this is because Kim and I (and the dog) are in the middle of a Real Life vacation to the Oregon Coast. It’s been too cold and windy and wet to spend much time outside, but we’ve all enjoyed hunkering down at our AirBNB, watching the Olympics, playing games, and reading books.

But this break is also because I’ve been so focused on the editorial side of the site that I’ve been neglecting the rest of the business. And make no mistake: In the nearly nine years since I sold Get Rich Slowly, it truly has become a business.

Instead of writing about money, for the next week (or two) I’ll be:

  • Fulfilling requests from my web designers. They’re dutifully working on the GRS redesign, but I’ve become a sticking point. They can’t proceed until I get them some info, and that’s going to take several hours.
  • Working with my tech guy to reinstate the GRS forums. I was under the mistaken impression that nobody used the forums here any more. I was wrong. There are several die-hard fans who have been pleading with me to bring them back. (I had to kill them when I moved the site to a new server after re-purchasing.) We believe this is a non-difficult task, but it will take some brainwidth.
  • Monetizing the site in a variety of ways. At the moment, Get Rich Slowly is generating about $1500 per month. That’s fine for a hobby, but not for a business. I can’t hire help at $1500 per month. Fortunately, most sites of this size generate much more income, and I believe GRS can too — without compromising the reader experience. But it’ll take several days of time and energy to get this sorted. My goal isn’t to make a boatload of money but to have enough cashflow to pay people to do the stuff I don’t want to do. (All I really want to do is write.)
  • And so on.

Plus, there are tons of other unfinished tasks behind the scenes. When I re-purchased this site in October, I should have taken a couple of months to work on the non-editorial stuff before announcing I was back. But I’m impulsive. As soon as I took possession, I went full-bore into writing mode. It’s been fun, don’t get me wrong, but my single-minded pursuit of publishing new material has seriously hampered every other aspect of the site.

I hope to be back publishing full-time by March 1st. If I’m especially productive, that’ll happen sooner. (I really want to be back by next Sunday, February 25th.)

All of that said, I know myself. I can’t possibly keep silent here. Instead of full-fledged articles, expect lots of short tangentially-related material over the next seven to ten days.

It’ll be frustrating for me to keep (relatively) silent for a week or two, but I know that the long-term rewards will be worth it. For now, thanks so much for reading Get Rich Slowly and thank you for your patience.

The post A short break: GRS is on winter vacation appeared first on Get Rich Slowly.

Via Finance http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment