Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Anthony Bourdain’s money diary

Anthony Bourdain

I’m a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain. The dude loves life and lives hard — and shares it all (good and bad) candidly. Often in the evening, as Kim and I eat dinner, we’ll watch an episode of Parts Unknown, which is ostensibly about travel and food but actually about the human condition. It’s great stuff.

As part of their excellent Money Diaries series (“interesting people talking candidly about money”), robo-advisor Wealthsimple interviewed Bourdain about his relationship with money.

“My parents were not good with money,” Bourdain says. “They bought things they couldn’t afford.” When they did have money, they spent it instead of saving. As a result, his money blueprint was faulty from the start.

Bourdain shirked work. What money he did earn, he spent on drugs and other forms of entertainment. “I didn’t put anything aside, ever,” Bourdain says. “Money came in, money went out. I was always a paycheck behind, at least.”

The sad fact is, until 44 years of age, I never had any kind of savings account. I’d always been under the gun. I’d always owed money. I’d always been selfish and completely irresponsible.

Nowadays, things are different. Over the past twenty years, Bourdain has turned things around: “I am fanatical about not owing anybody any money. I hate it. I don’t want to carry a balance, ever. I have a mortgage, but I despise the idea.”

Like most of Bourdain’s work, the entire interview is golden. (And while you’re at Wealthsimple, check out other installments in their Money Diaries series, including interviews with Elizabeth Gilbert and Kevin Bacon.)

The post Anthony Bourdain’s money diary appeared first on Get Rich Slowly.

Via Finance http://www.rssmix.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment